Oh What a Beautiful Morning....

Sunday, March 24, 2013

in
Mostly, I miss the east coast where I grew up.

Today, I love where I live now.  It was so absolutely beautiful out.  Not cold, not hot, sunny, but not too sunny.  A perfect day really.

I sewed up another Roller Skate dress for Julia, and took her to the beach for some photos to send to the grandparents.  My parents are old-school - I email them photos, and they print them on their computer.  I thought it would be nice to actually print some and send them to them by actual mail for a change....

Here's the dress - the fabric is a quilting cotton from Westminster, the designer is Jenean Morrison.  Since buying some of her fabric from her Grand Hotel line, I checked out her website (http://jeneanmorrison.net/) - her art is really cool - very much my style. 

I had to really think about how I wanted to place the fabric on this border print.  Since the bottom of the hem is curved, and the border is of course straight, I needed to leave a lot of the red at the bottom so that it didn't look like it was uneven.  I also needed to have the elastic casing in a good spot as well....I was happy with the placement, except I should have centered the pattern a bit better.  But, whatever....she's 3!

We went to the beach about 8:00 a.m. - the lighting was beautiful, the temperature was perfect.....I think I got a lot of good shots to send the grandparents....I think they'll be delighted!




 And, I don't know where she came up with the hands on the hips pose....



 This picture (above) is my favorite....the real Julia smile, as opposed to the fake picture taking smile...


  The above picture reminds me of a model face you see on runway models....



14 comments:

  1. This dress is gorgeous - such fab colours on her. And yep, that 'cool' pic has model written all over it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! And I really don't know where she gets the model thing from!

      Delete
  2. I just love this fabric and your little girl is absolutely adorable! Great colors for her!! Thanks for sharing this line. I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had never seen the fabric before but really fell in love with her work. I'm going to be on the lookout for her future lines too...

      Delete
  3. This dress is so pretty, awesome sewing:) love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome fabric!! Perfect pick. She is so cute, I love the modeling stage, cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Janice. My girls have had a range of Saltwaters but never in that fab orange colour.

    I love the blurry background in your photos. Very dreamy. Do you use a special lens to get your depth of field?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marina....yes, aren't the Saltwaters nice! I have a pair of green ones that I'm watching on ebay right now...

      I have two lenses that I use predominantly - a 50 mm f1.8, and an 85 mm f1.8. I bought them both to shoot basketball (bad lighting, and fast action) and they work great for portrait shooting as well.

      Delete
  6. I love that last photo! And like Marina I am totally digging the orange Saltwaters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camille! That last one was my favorite!

      Delete